The Carmichael Inn, built in 1821, is one of the area’s oldest homes and now offers the finest in Southern Comfort food for your dining pleasure. On the menu are such favorites as shrimp and grits, the best in fried catfish, Grandma’s meatloaf, the best steaks around, and much more.
The menu also includes an express lunch; and all meals are available for carry out.
The Carmichael Inn offers dining on our front deck and inside the dining room where guests can revel in the ambiance of the 200 plus year old buildings.
Throughout its history, the two-story log building, which was originally owned by John Carmichael, served as a residence, stagecoach stop and railroad inn. It served as a stopping point for stage coach travelers from Nashville, Knoxville and Chattanooga.
In those days, guests would eat with the Carmichael family and then upon retiring for the night would sleep upstairs in one large room. It was not uncommon for guests to share a bed with others staying at the inn in those days.
The period room features a massive fireplace, which was used to heat the inn and also served as a stove of sorts, as all the cooking was done there too. The inn has a gable roof and two front and two rear doors and has a two-story porch that runs the length of the inn.