Melton Hill Reservoir has a nationally recognized rowing course and is a spring training site for collegiate teams from throughout the eastern United States. The reservoir has hosted a number of national championships.
Facts about Melton Hill:
- Construction of Melton Hill Dam began in 1960 and was completed in 1963.
- The dam is 103 feet high and stretches 1,020 feet across the Clinch River.
- The reservoir provides nearly 193 miles of shoreline and 5,470 acres of water surface for recreation.
- Melton Hill is the only dam in the tributary reservoir system with a navigation lock. The lock has a 75- by 400-foot chamber and a maximum lift of 60 feet.
- Melton Hill is a run-of-river reservoir, meaning that water is passed through the reservoir without being stored long term. The water level fluctuates about four feet (between elevation 791 and 795) on a daily basis.
- The hydroelectric power plant at Melton Hill Dam consists of two generating units.
Melton Hill Recreation