Union Gen. William T. Sherman created an armed camp in the area in November 1863 when he stopped here during his campaign to relieve the siege of Knoxville.
In 1873 a camp of another sort was founded here in part to “allay the feuds engendered by the late national difficulties.” Trustees were selected from both former Confederate and Union soldiers. The National Campground meeting house near what is now Greenback, is an open-air meeting house, built in 1874. It still hosts an annual 5-day revival every October. The campground is located just off King Rd. near its junction with National Campground Rd. (small white signs point the way).
1849 King Road
Greenback, TN 37742